At school, the club that I co-lead, the Green club, is organizing a “make it yourself reusable holiday bag event” where students can come and make bags for their Secret Santa or for family, etc.
Here’s how to make your own:
1. Gather your supplies: a piece of 9″x12″ fabric, some thread, a needle, a sewing machine (optional), and a piece of ribbon between 1/2″ and 1″ wide, and 18″ long.
2. Lay your ribbon over your fabric, leaving some room at the top.
3. Fold the fabric over while the ribbon is still in it, to make a little pocket.
4. Crease the fabric and take the ribbon out.
5. Use pins to mark the pocket for later use.
6. Sew two of the sides (leaving the top open!) using a sewing machine or a needle, making sure NOT to sew over the openings to the pocket (super important!)
7. Slip the ribbon back into the pocket, and sew the ribbon in, using a running stitch. Make sure NOT to sew through the ribbon, because then you won’t be able to close your bag.
8. Turn the bag inside out.
9. Give a family member or friend a gift in your newly made bag!
Until next time, Em 🙂